Plan Your Visit
GROUNDS Hours & SERVICES
Blue Heron Nature Preserve grounds and trails are free and open to the public 365 days a year, from 6 am - 11 pm. Picnic tables are available throughout the preserve for sitting and snacking.
The Woodland Loop Trail is easily accessible from the main BHNP parking area. Just look for the Heron sculpture and the arbor.
The Blue Heron office building is a private administrative building available for booked programs and by appointment only. If you are planning a self-guided group tour at the Preserve, while the grounds are free and open to the public, please contact the office at (404) 946-6394 so we may accommodate scheduling and group parking.
The Art Gallery is available to view by appointment only. Please contact our curator, Sally Eppstein at (678) 642-5300.
The Blue Heron Nature Preserve is located at 4055 Roswell Road, Atlanta, GA 30342. It is inside the City of Atlanta. From I-285 West turn left (from I-285 East turn right) onto Roswell Road and continue straight for 3 miles, we are on the left across from Pike Nurseries, past the Chastain Square shopping center with the Publix.
From GA 400, exit at Lenox Rd, heading towards Piedmont. Turn right onto Piedmont and continue straight until you come to the intersection of Piedmont and Roswell Road. Turn right and continue a short while. The Preserve will be on your right, just past the Goodwill and High Country Outfitters on the left. Visitors can park in the main lot in front of the building at 4055 Roswell Rd., in the smaller lot at the community garden, or off Rickenbacker Drive and walk down the pathway to the trailhead.
City of Atlanta Park Rules
- Report illegal activities to 911.
- Place all litter in receptacles.
- All pets must be on a leash in a City park, except in designated areas. Persons with pets must clean up after the pet. No pets are allowed during A, B or C festivals.
- No horses or ponies are allowed in any park at any time.
- No vehicles allowed off paved roads or on closed park roads.
- No tents or canopies allowed without the expressed written permission of the Commissioner, Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, and other permits required by the city.
- No moonwalks, dunk tanks, or any equipment that calls for independent power (except by special permit).
- All games and activities that could damage the lawns are restricted.
- No glass containers allowed.
- No amplified music allowed (except by special permit).
- No selling of food or other items (except by special permit).
- No alcoholic beverages (except by special permit).
- Absolutely no drugs or illegal substances allowed on City property.
If you are a commercial photographer who wants to take photos at Blue Heron or a television/film producer who wants to shoot footage on the grounds, please call (404) 946-6394 to discuss. For some projects permission must be granted by the City of Atlanta.
Click on the Image Below to View our digital visitor guide & TRAIL MAP