Festival Of Native Trees
CElebrate Trees this December!
Blue Heron Nature Preserve is hosting our inaugural Festival of Native Trees in December 2018. Visit the Preserve throughout the month to view beautifully decorated trees along our trails. The decorations celebrate the many ways trees are important to life in the city of Atlanta.
Opening Celebration: December 9th, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
Be dazzled by the decorated trees on our trails, and vote for your favorite! All are welcome and participation in most activities is free. Activities during our opening celebration include:
- Naturalist guided hike through our winter wonderland of trees.
- Tree Decorating Workshop with hands-on craft making for all ages (Pre-Registration Only).
- Seasonal goodies like hot apple cider and ginger cookies
- Voting for our People's Choice Award
Tree Decorating Workshop: Register Here
Be sure to register to participate in our Tree Decorating Workshop! The workshop will be ongoing during our Opening Celebration. The workshop is open to all ages, and we will be decorating the flowering dogwood tree in our Children's Garden. Craft stations include:
- Orange Bird Feeders: Make oranges into beautiful bird feeders to hang in our dogwood and feed the birds that visit this winter.
- Thankful Ornaments: Write a thank you note to our tree and hang it on a branch.
- Woodland Garlands: Collect acorns, sweetgum balls and other natural items to string on a garland and hang on our tree.
The fee for the workshop is $10/adult, $5/children over 3. Children 3 and under are free. All proceeds from the workshop help us support our education programs, and continue to offer opportunities for the public to engage with and learn about nature at Blue Heron!
Call For Entries: Now Closed
Get involved by decorating a tree on our trail! Families, school groups, professional and amateur artists, and any one who loves trees are invited to participate. Your tree will be showcased throughout the month, teach hundreds of visitors why trees are important, and you could win a Blue Heron Prize package if your tree is voted as the Public's Favorite!
Don't worry if you missed this year's call! We'll be celebrating again next December. Click here for the 2017 Festival of Native Trees Entry Guidelines and be ready for December 2018!